(or afternoon, evening, middle of night depending on when you’re reading this. Actually, go to bed if it’s the middle of the night; you need yo beauty rest.)
I have a pretty awesome recipe to share with you all today. I’m really excited because
A) it’s easy to make
B) it’s both nutritious AND delicious
C) it’s FREEZABLE.
The last one is pretty important because since school has started, I need school lunches that I can put together really quickly. I love freezable food because it lasts forever and is like an instant, healthy meal.
Not convinced you need this burger in your life yet? Let me continue…
It’s also vegan, which is important for all my veggie guys and gals out there. It’s gluten free for all my gluten free peeps.
It’s full of veggies, protein, and a little kick of spice. It holds together nicely and has a really satisfying meaty texture.
Did I mention you can freeze them?
How we doing? If you’re not convinced yet, okay. Just go make them and eat them and freeze them and then eat them again. THEN you’ll be convinced, I promise.
Spicy Mexican Veggie Burgers
Servings: 9 large burgers
1 can of kidney beans (15 oz)
1 can of black beans (15 oz)
1 whole diced medium onion
1 cup diced red pepper
2/3 cup instant oats (certified GF)
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Drain and rinse the canned beans in a colander. Transfer them to a large bowl and mash them with a potato masher or a fork until they start to bind together. Leave some bean chunks though. You don’t want a bean paste.
3. Cook onion and pepper in a pan until the onion is translucent and the pepper is soft. Add to the mashed beans.
4. Add instant oats to the bean and veggie mixture and stir to combine. Add in the spices and salsa as well. Give it a final mix (you can totally use your hands) and then shape into 9 patties.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let them cool, and then eat or put in little plastic baggies and freeze for later.
Hope you get to try these! They are seriously yummy. If you do, I would love to see it. Tag @nutrition.on.a.mission.blog on instagram, and I’ll check it out!
Bye loves ❤
So tell me…
What’s your favorite way to eat veggie burgers? – Mine is probably with roasted potatoes and avocado.